Thursday, January 6, 2011

Recipe> Bhindi and Potato Sabzi

Text by: Tanya Munshi

Daily cooking can be boring for many. I often hear many ladies complaining that cooking is such a boring task. I agree, but only from their point of view. Fortunately for me, I love cooking. I find it very relaxing especially after a busy schedule.



Image: Bhindi and Potato Sabzi


Image by: Tanya Munshi

As much as I love non-vegetarian food, I love my veggies. One of my favorites is ladies-finger or Okra or Bhindi. I am sharing a simple recipe to make that boring lunch or dinner a little more interesting. So here goes...

Ingredients

  • Ladies Finger/ Okra/ Bhindi - 500 gms
  • Medium to Large Potatoes - 1-2 nos. 
  • Large Onion - 1 and 1/2
  • Paanch Phoron - 2tsp approx. (Bengali five spice mix)
  • Mustard Oil
  • Salt - to taste
  • Coriander powder - 1-2 tsp
  • Turmeric powder - 1tsp
  • Red chilli powder - 1 and half tsp
Method

  1. Cut the ladies finger the way you like. You can cut it in circles or in long strips. 
  2. Cut the potatoes in thin slices and slice the onions and keep aside.
  3. Heat the mustard oil and add the Paanch Phoron. As soon as it splatters, add the onions and brown them. 
  4. Now add the potato slices and brown them and finally add the ladies finger.
  5. Once you saute them for a few mins, add the salt, coriander, turmeric and red chili powders and mix well.
  6. Lower the flame and cover the work. Keep checking every few mins and mix it well.
  7. Once done, serve hot with roti and daal.

No comments: